Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) empowers every girl in Guiding to discover herself
and be everything she wants to be. In Guiding, girls from 5-17 meet with girls their own age in a safe,
inclusive space to explore what matters to them. GGC is where girls take the lead, put their ideas into
action and jump into awesome activities – all with the support of volunteer Guiders who are committed to
positively impacting their lives. We strive to ensure that girls and women from all walks of life, identities
and lived experiences feel a sense of belonging and can fully participate.
GGC-GduC is actively searching for a Web Developer.
*Remote work arrangement temporarily due to COVID-19
As the Web Developer, you will lead the creation and posting of web content that optimizes web design
and user experience requirements, ensuring web content tells a compelling story about GGC-GduC to
parents, members, volunteers, donors and the public, while providing essential information about the
organization. You’ll also provide website maintenance, technical guidance and oversight for website
projects while collaborating with cross-functional teams across the organization.
The Web Developer will:
- Translate client's goals into inclusive & creative web content, with a focus on a seamless user experience.
- Bring an inclusive user-experience lens to all work, ensuring web content aligns with the needs of those coming to girlguides.ca.
- Ensure all web content is consistent with user experience best practices, brand standards and web accessibility compliance standards like Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (AODA) and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Provide website technical guidance and leadership to other departments as needed.
- Provide project updates and statuses to client departments and senior leadership.
- Coordinate with media agencies to optimize web applications for digital marketing e.g., Google Marketing Tools.
- Analyze new applications and upgrades/enhancements and provide recommendations.
- Work with internal clients to translate their information and communication needs into engaging web content.
- Apply organizational policies regarding inclusivity to content, member communication and customer service.
You are the model candidate if you have:
- Experience creating web content for youth and parent audiences – with a focus on attracting new members/audiences through web content focused on a compelling user experience.
- Experience with project management across the full project lifecycle working with various crossfunctional teams.
- A post-secondary education in Computer Science, Web Development, Information Technology, or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of hands-on Web Development experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of best practices and standards for web development like User Experience Design (UX/UI), and AODA, cross-browser compatibility, mobile-first and responsive design.
- Experience working with Drupal, WordPress and at least one .NET CMS platform.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Tag Manager, AdWords and Search Console, SERP ranking and overall data analytics on the user journey.
- Proven productivity and collaboration computer skills including Microsoft O365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint Online, Teams and Planner), Visual Studio, PhotoShop and online forms.
- Ability to work well within a team environment, including collaborating with client departments, designers, copywriters, social media coordinator, and other staff.
- Ability to identify and learn new skills to improve efficiencies.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation and communication skills.
- Strong research, analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Effective decision-making and negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and work well with others as well as independently with a customer service focus.
- Experience with web accessibility testing tools e.g., WAVE, AChecker and WCAG 2.0 guidelines.
- Formal training in User Experience.
- Working experience with a non-profit organization.
- Familiarity with basic usability testing and QA processes.
- Experience with iMIS RiSE.
Does this sound like you? Then apply today!
This position will remain open until filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Send your cover letter and resume (as one file) to:
Leisa McKenzie - Employee Experience Business Partner
Girl Guides of Canada - Guides du Canada
Kindly reference the position title in the subject line of your email message.
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered.
GGC-GduC is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We value a recruitment and selection
process that is inclusive and barrier-free, and we encourage applications from people who are
racialized, Indigenous, people from the 2SLGBTQI+ community, people with disabilities and other
equity seeking groups.
Upon request, Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada will make available reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process. Accommodation requests should be made in advance to People & Culture at HR@girlguides.ca.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.