The Isabel Kerr Scholarship is an annual program designed by Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council, to encourage the further education of our members ages 17+, including young women and adults. Please carefully review all the information below, before following the instructions to apply.
Deadline for Application
: You must submit your application and supporting documents (see "How to Apply
" below) by April 1, 2017 in order to be eligible for consideration.
Amount of Scholarship
: The amount and number of scholarships awarded each year is dependent upon available funds. The maximum individual scholarship will be $1000.
Eligibility Criteria and Conditions
- Full time – Scholarship(s) awarded to member(s) enrolled in and attending full-time at a post-secondary education facility.
- Continuing Education – Scholarship(s) awarded to member(s) enrolled in and attending a part-time credit program. The learning environment may be a classroom, correspondence or web-based.
- Applicants must attend junior college, college, technical school, university or a recognized post-secondary private education facility.
- Applicants must be active, well-rounded members of Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada in Ontario or Nunavut. The recipient is expected to continue her involvement with Guiding in some manner.
- Applicants must be 17 years of age or older during the application year.
- Applicants must correctly complete and submit all items listed under the“How to Apply” section below.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in a subsequent year.
- Successful recipients may not apply again.
- The scholarship is conditional upon the acceptance and continuance in the program of the applicant's choice. Verification of acceptance will be required.
- Each award recipient must agree to have her name and photograph publicized. She must be prepared to promote the scholarship as requested.
To be eligible for consideration, applications must be received by the stated deadline and completed correctly. Only materials requested will be reviewed; extra information or material submitted will not be considered.
Applications will be evaluated by the Isabel Kerr Ontario Scholarship Screening Task Group under various categories for a total of 60 maximum points:
4 points: Guiding history
9 points: Service/volunteer involvement (inside and outside Guiding)
3 points: Employment history
9 points: Additional interests and activities
5 points: School marks
10 points: Applicant's Guiding Statement
10 points: Confidential reference letter #1
10 points: Confidential reference letter #2
How to Apply
Complete and submit the online Isabel Kerr Scholarship Application
. Be sure to print a copy of the completed form before you submit as you will also need to mail a copy to us.
After submitting your form online, you must submit all of the following documentation by mail:
- Printed copy of your completed application form
- Copy of a report card
- Two (2) confidential reference letters*
*You must provide two confidential reference letters - one from within Guiding and one from outside of Guiding. Each letter must include details regarding the character and qualities of the applicant, as well as the reasons why she should be considered for an Isabel Kerr Ontario Scholarship. The letter must indicate the relationship between the applicant and the reference. Family members may not be asked to provide a reference. As the information contained in the recommendation is confidential, the person providing the reference must place it in a sealed envelope prior to giving it to the applicant.
Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council
Isabel Kerr Ontario Scholarship - WRITE YOUR NAME HERE
180 Duncan Mill Rd., Suite 100
Successful recipients of the Isabel Kerr Scholarship will be notified by May 1, 2017. Please note that unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
Scholarship winners will be invited to attend a public presentation of their scholarship at a provincial recognition ceremony.
Apply now for the Isabel Kerr Scholarship
(Remember – print your completed online application before submitting).